fashion Image Map

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Finished Butterick 5607

Everything happens eventually happens in time. Patience is the key and unfortunately I do not have this, but how I sew without patience is unanswerable. My butterick 5607 dress took me a week to make and half an hour to hem and iron 2 months later. I couldn't believe I finished it. The point I am getting at is I finally finished my dress that I never thought I would finish, but I finally have. I am going to review the pattern the pattern, so keep reading below. My first official dress finished and wearable in public.

Here is the result: 





 




Pattern Review



Name:
Butterick 5607 Misses' Dress, Slip, Shrug, Sash, Shawl and Flower Dress B fitted (through bust), A-Line, lined dress has princess seams, back zipper and above mid-knee length.

Size:
AA (6-8-10-12-14)

Cost:
Pattern $14.00, 2 metres Dutch Satin $14.00, Bemsilk Lining (I have a whole role of about 5m which I bought from Spotlight for only $5.00), Zipper (I bought in a pack from Big W for about $3.00).

Rating:


4.5 out of 5




Skill Level:
Easy

Notions:
22" Zipper (I used a smaller one), Hooks and Eyes (which I didn't use). 

Material Used:
Dutch Satin, Bemsilk lining

Comments (positive/negative):
The overall result was fantastic, although the material I used was a little thick and stiff. However the instructions for inserting the zipper and finishing off the hem were a little hard for me to understand, I'm not sure if it was just me or the instructions could have been made easier. I had to use other methods to attach the lining to the zipper (which I did by hand because I did a stupid mistake by sewing the material and zipper tape together, after I had done this I found a fantastic video on youtube on how to attach lining to a zipper but that was after I created the mess and I wasn't bothered to unpick) and for the hemming I researched a whole heap but in the end I did it my own way by attaching the lining and fabric together. Also when it states to understitch, I had no idea what to do, so I had to research that, oh and I also found a great video on how to attach lining to a sleveless dress. Did these videos not only help with this dress but with also my school textiles project. (Thanks Colleen!) Basically for most of the instructions, I abandoned them and used the wonderful youtube videos by FashionSewingBlogTV. Well after all, I am a novice. But with the end result I am very happy.  Now I can actually wear it in public! Yipee!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hope you enjoyed! If you want more, please follow me :)

ShareThis